Re: [squid-users] Strange Memory Usage...

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2004 01:48:34 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004, Altrock, Jens wrote:

> Maximum Resident Size: 0 KB
> Page faults with physical i/o: 356
> Memory usage for squid via mallinfo():
> total space in arena: 2021 KB
> Ordinary blocks: 2005 KB 5 blks
> Small blocks: 0 KB 6 blks
> Holding blocks: 2244 KB 2 blks
> Free Small blocks: 0 KB
> Free Ordinary blocks: 16 KB
> Total in use: 4249 KB 210%
> Total free: 16 KB 1%
>
> Is there something wrong configured or has my mallinfo() some error?!?

The % in "Total in use" is a bit off.. don't care too much about this.

> Because that would mean that squid uses more mem than I have, saying that it
> swaps to hard drive..

None of the kind. This information has no relevance to how much memory
your box have, swap etc. Only the virtual memory size of the Squid process
and how efficient your malloc implementation makes use of this.

If you look closely at the numbers your Squid was very small (4 MB) and is
unlikely to have caused any swapping.