[squid-users] load balancing

From: Jeff Donovan <donovan@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2004 09:11:38 -0400

greetings

I have a new squid server i want to put in parallel with my existing
system. i read most of the Docs and Faq's but still have not come up
with a good understanding for my scenario.

I'm running a transparent cache with squid guard. My problem seems to
be How do I split my traffic ? or how do i create a failover if one
squid server becomes to busy?
here is my topology

--[ L3 def route]--->[ squid1]-->
                        --->[squid2]-->
right now i my problem is that I have only one default route option
coming from my layer 3 device. therefore I cannot split my subnets and
force 1/2 to one interface and the other half to another.

I do have multiple cards in each squid box.
DNS round robin won't work in this setup because i am forcing all
unknown traffic to squid1. (correct me if I'm wrong)

any advice?

jeff donovan
basd network operations
(610) 807 5571 x41