Re: [squid-users] Squid Market Share

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 09:47:31 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004, Lizzy Dizzy wrote:

> does anyone have any information on how much market share Squid is holding as
> compared to other caching product. Is there any formal statistics collected
> to compared how the various caching products performs. The one I found
> (something Caching Bake-Off by the Measurement factory) seems pretty
> outdated. Is there any other updated sites (at least up to 2003)?

Market share of proxy servers is very hard to estimate as the information
can not be automatically discovered and instead there needs to be a manual
servey done in person with a sufficient and representative subsection of
the market. With Squid being a free software estimates becomes even harder
as there is no official sales to base an estimate upon.

On the performance questions most vedors have very little interest in
providing reliable performance data and the vendor interest for additional
cache bake-offs has been low the last years. But the numbers from the last
bake-off is probably still representative for most vendors who
participated (where these vendors still exists).

Please note that you can not compare performance numbers across the
different bake-offs as they all used different tests, each time more
closely resembling what would typically be seen in real networking.