Re: [squid-users] Configuring Squid to work with squidGuard...

From: Hendrik Voigtländer <hendrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 11:39:40 +0200

I use squidGuard too and I couldn't really follow this approach...

> Personally what I do is run squidGuard -C all (to recompile the databases
> when I add a site.)

I did this only the first time as I have some uncompiled small
databases, e.g. a whitelist which allows me to enable sites very
quickly. I prefer to specify the database to compile.

> Then I do squid -k reconfigure (which restarts squid) and squid
> automatically starts squidGuard.

This is very dangerous if the permissions on the databases are wrong.
I have managed to crash a squid with at least 300 users online in the
middle of a day.

> Then look at the log files and verify that it's running (last line is
> "squidGuard ready for requests")

Squidguard needs rw-Permissions on the database-files. Double check the
permissions especially if the database compilation is done as root.

A safe way ist to start squidGuard as the squid-user logging to
stdout/stderr.

su - proxy 'squidGuard -d'

If you see "squidGuard ready for requests" there, you will see it in the
logfiles after the reconfigure.

> Now go to a web browser on a client and try to access a blocked site. You
> should be shown a error page or redirected (whatever you configured it to
> do).
>
> Recap:
> 1. squidGuard -C all (as root)
> 2. squid -k reconfigure
> 3. check to make sure squidGuard is running
> 4. Test with browser
> 5. if not working, do squid -k kill, then "squid" to start it up again.

In general this is the recipe I used as well and it works, although I
did not compile from source. Everything on my machine comes from debian
(woody) execpt the kernel (stock kernel did not support the hardware).

Additionally I have modified the page squidGuard is redirecting to. It's
now a quick'n'dirty perl-cgi which offers a convenient way to reports
false positives.

Regards, Hendrik Voigtländer