RE: [squid-users] DNS

From: Elsen Marc <elsen@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 13:19:19 +0200

> HI Experts,
>
> I am running Squid 2.5 STABLE 6 over Linux Enterprise 3 on IBM 345
> Series Server having 1 GM ram.
>
> Should I use internal DNS of squid for squid and my Internet Users? Or
> DNS should be on separate machine, I guess with 1 GB ram, it
> won't be a
> problem to use internal one, Squid handles about 50 requests / sec in
> peak times.

  'Internal DNS' refers to whether SQUID uses an external process
for performing DNS lookups or not.
Hence , in that context speaking of DNS on a separate machine is meaningless
since SQUID needs to do DNS lookups in order to be able to 'work'.

DNS servers used however, are (indeed) specified in /etc/resolv.conf.

In normal circumstances, using internal DNS (the default) will be work
just fine.

M.