RE: [squid-users] DNS

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 10:26:38 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004, Mohsin Khan wrote:

> Adding to it, internel DNS means, squid uses its own
> lookup functionality for Domain names, and well if you
> are not using it ...its your choice. I have my own
> personal expreince that proxy+DNS server works fine.

In all configurations Squid needs a DNS server who can perform the actual
DNS lookups.

The difference between the internal/external DNS client in Squid is mainly
performance and reliability. The internal DNS client is more effective,
more so under higher loads and even more so in later versions (2.5.STABLE7
or STABLE6 + patches). The drawback of the internal DNS client is that the
DNS client code is not as mature as the fullblown DNS client in your OS
and in the past have had trouble resolving some names. Currently there is
no known such issues with the internal DNS client code however.