Re: [squid-users] Squid Configuration

From: Hendrik Voigtländer <hendrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 22:48:04 +0200

> Hello, I have just installed Linux Red Hat 9 on an intel microprocessor
> (Pentium Celeron 300 Mhz , 256 Mb of RAM and 60 Gb UATA IDE DISK) and i
> have a network with 10 pcs connected I turn squid on and it works fine
> but when i make a simple ping from any computer connected to the linux
> server ( for example ping www.google.com.ar, it gives me host unknown).

This sounds like a DNS problem.
Do you have a DNS configured on your clients?

> The Linux configurations are these:
>
> device hardware ip/nm
>
> eth0: rtl8139 10.0.0.1/255.0.0.0
> eth1: rtl8139 192.168.0.1/255.255.255.0
> eth2: rtl8180 (wlan) 192.168.1.1/255.255.255.0
> ppp0: ADSL PPPoE using eth0

IMHO you dont need to set an IP-adress on eth0 when using adsl but IMHO
it doesn't hurt if you do.

> the inner network is connected to eth1 device and it works fine (i'm
> using samba) but squid doesn't work properly.

Then you are probably using the "netbios over tcp/ip" name resolution.
This helps finding clients in the lan only.

> I give you the squid.conf file because i can't find the error in this.

Where? But I doubt that this is a squid error anyway...

What I would do:

Try if squid is working on the server itself. You can use wget to do
this, set http_proxy either in the environment or in wgetrc. (But you
can of course install a browser, but I would avoid that...).

Setup a DNS on the squid-server (bind) but take care to read the howto's
if you are not familiar with bind. You may setup a local domain to
resolv you clients if you wish.
Configure your clients and the server to use that DNS (put localhost in
the resov.conf on the server).
Configure the bind to use the ISP's DNS-Servers as forwarder, you may
find the servers IP's in the /etc/resolv.conf.

Check the ipfilter (I hope you have one working on this machine...).

Regards, Hendrik Voigtländer