Re: [squid-users] Squid restarting

From: <apmailist@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 12:36:02 +0200

> What is said in your system messages log?
The messages from the OS are at the bottom, aren't very helpful though.
ulimit -a , and ulimit -aH don't show any limit at 256MB. But by watching the
mem usage through "mrtg", I could clearly see the graphics hitting a ceiling at
256. Then, using an equiv. of "top" ,I could predict a crash to happen in the
next few seconds.
It might be this :
(from http://www.ncsu.edu/itd/hpc/Documents/AIXMemoryModels.php)
"32-bit Memory Models : AIX divides memory into 256 MB segments.
The default memory model allocates a segment for kernel text and data associated
with the user process, a segment for user text, a segment for user stack and
data, a segment for shared library text, a segment for library data, and the
remaining segments are available to use as shared memory segments. Since user
stack and data share a 256 MB segment in this model, user data is restricted to
128 MB to allow room for the stack within the segment."

and More info there :
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/eserver/articles/aix4java1.html#IDACDSKH

> > Should I put it back to 8MB, or is 128 MB allright ?
>
> You should only make it larger than the default if you know for certain
> there is plenty of free memory and the process size is not in danger of
> hitting an OS limit.

Well, I think I'll lower the value until I get to a stable situation.
128MB, then 64, etc ...

Best Regards,
Andrew.

the LOGS :

From syslog :
Aug 20 11:00:35 srvuxrox squid[9390]: Squid Parent: child process 10924 exited d
ue to signal 4
Aug 20 11:00:38 srvuxrox squid[9390]: Squid Parent: child process 19718 started

From AIX Errorlog :
LABEL: CORE_DUMP
IDENTIFIER: B6048838
Date/Time: Fri Aug 20 11:00:35 2004
Sequence Number: 506
Machine Id: 004652BA4C00
Node Id: srvuxrox
Class: S
Type: PERM
Resource Name: SYSPROC
Description
SOFTWARE PROGRAM ABNORMALLY TERMINATED
Probable Causes
SOFTWARE PROGRAM
User Causes
USER GENERATED SIGNAL
        Recommended Actions
        CORRECT THEN RETRY
Failure Causes
SOFTWARE PROGRAM
        Recommended Actions
        RERUN THE APPLICATION PROGRAM
        IF PROBLEM PERSISTS THEN DO THE FOLLOWING
        CONTACT APPROPRIATE SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE
Detail Data
SIGNAL NUMBER
           4
USER'S PROCESS ID:
       10924
FILE SYSTEM SERIAL NUMBER
           5
INODE NUMBER
           2
PROCESSOR ID
           1
CORE FILE NAME
/tmp/core
PROGRAM NAME
squid
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
??
??
Impossible de g-E9-n-E9-rer une cha-EE-ne de sympt-F4-mes.