Re: [squid-users] squid chroot jail no running copy error

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2004 01:05:15 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004, Rick G. Kilgore wrote:

>> I'm not what you would call a Fedora pro, but I suspect you will need to
>> chroot to the enviroment in order to run the squid -k reconfigure... E.g.
>> chroot /wka usr/local/squidSTABLE6/sbin/squid -k reconfigure
>
> That works, would have never thought that this would be necessary.
> Now I have to know why. on a mission.

Because you chroot:ed Squid when you started it, all paths opened by Squid
is relative to the chroot, not the normal system root.

If you do not chroot "squid -k ..." in the same manner "squid -k ..." runs
in a different environment and won't find the correct paths to either your
configuration file or the pid file as it's view is relative to the system
root directory, not your chroot.

Using the chroot_dir directive in squid.conf is generally adviseable over
manual chrooting of Squid. This makes sure paths is always correct and
also allows you to keep sensitive information such as the configuration
file and Squid binary etc outside of the chroot.