Re: [squid-users] reverse proxy to improve HTTP responses?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2004 01:24:20 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004, Laurian Gridinoc wrote:

> I wonder if squid in reverse proxy mode (probably with cache turned
> on) can improve the metadata that the web server is delivering:

Not really no.

> If my web server delivers only content-type and expires, no
> content-length or Etag; may squid add for a cached response the
> content-length so the client may pipeline data with the reverse proxy?

ETag can only be constructed in a reliable manner by the origin server.
This header must not be taken lightly as it is a very fundamental header
of HTTP/1.1 operations.

> may squid respond with 304 Not Modified if it is the case? may squid
> upgrade the communication to HTTP/1.1?

For 304 responses it is sufficient to have a Last-Modified header. Almost
all web servers is capable of sending this header.