Re: [squid-users] log server

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2004 01:42:02 +0200 (CEST)

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004, George Hong wrote:

> I have several squid cache servers setting us as reversed proxy for a
> large website. We need to provide a single log file everyday. Instead of
> spending hours on combining several huge access.log files into one, I'm
> wondering whether I can use a log server and point the log file to it so
> that the log file is already well organized. If I want to implement it,
> where should I start?

I would merge the logs after the fact. As each logfile is already sorted
the process of merging the logs is very light weight apart from the disk
I/O in reading/writing the log data. (sort -m)

> One way to solve the issue I can think of is to mount the log server's
> disk on the cache servers. But mount is not reliable and I don't like
> it. It might have write lock issues since multiple servers are writing
> to it at the same time.

This won't work very well.. NFS is not very keen of multiple writers to
the same file and you may well end up with corrupted records and/or lost
information.

It has been considered using syslog for the access log but unfortunately
syslog is a bit limited both in performance and the allowed record size,
and in addition the network transport is quite unreliable.