Re: [squid-users] How to use accelerating proxies correctly?

From: André Füchsel <andre.fuechsel@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 08:22:18 +0200

At 19:59 25.08.2004 +0200, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

> > There is no public domain name, since squid is placed in DMZ and the
> > JBoss server is placed behind a firewall in the user LAN. It can only be
> > reached by using IP-Addresses. Why is it bad to use IP-Addresses?
Should be
> > transparent, shouldn't it? But I can of course place the IP in
/etc/hosts...

> So your users are supposed to enter the IP address in their browsers?

No, they are supposed to enter the domain name of the squid-server, which
is something like www.mycompanyname.de. The internal network is NOT visible
to the outside, thus the JBoss server does not need to be reached via
domain name. BTW., the internal doamin is mycompanyname.net, therefore
different than what is visible on the outside. SO the only thing I could
possibly do, is to define something like jboss.mycompany.net in /etc/hosts
but I cannot use mycompany.de. If I would do this, would there be any
advantage in comparison of just using plain IP-addresses?

> I would probably agree here.. you seem to be stuck with an environment
> inherently unfriendly to what you are trying to accomplish, making things
> several orders of magnitude more complext than they need to be.

:-)

Andre