Re: [squid-users] How to use accelerating proxies correctly?

From: André Füchsel <andre.fuechsel@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 15:05:31 +0200

At 09:06 26.08.2004 +0200, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

> > If I would do this, would there be any advantage in
> > comparison of just using plain IP-addresses?
>
> To not confuse your server httpd_accel_host should be the hostname the
> clients requests in their browser, or what is DNS-registered pointing to
> your Squid.

Thanks, now I do understand! This was not clear to me and IMHO is not clear
in the documentation too. To summarize, this is my understanding now:

- Squid is running on a machine called www.mydomain.com
- Squid is configured as an accelerated proxy to a machine called
www.myinternaldomain.net
- www.myinternaldomain.net is not reachable from the internet
- Squid-configuration: http_accel_host is NOT www.myinternaldomain.net, BUT
www.mydomain.com AND a host file for squid use only is set up to map
www.mydomain.com to the internal address of www.myinternaldomain.net

With this setting, and also by using port 80 as http_accel_port, also
redirects (30x) from the server are no longer a problem. If my
understanding is correct, I think, this should be made clearer in the
documentation.

BTW.: If one uses https_port 443 and http_accel_port 80 this solution would
still not work for redirects.

Henrik, thanks for your patience! Great work!

André