[squid-users] optimising squid config

From: yance kowara <yance@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 01:02:45 +1000

Dear All,

I am a squid newbie trying to setup a squid server on FreeBSD 4.10.

Hardware specs:
PIII 800Mhz
256 MB SDRAM
80 Gb HDD IDE

We have around 70 concurent users and a 2Mb ADSL.

The box is only functioning as a caching server.

I have done some OS tuning following the book "Squid - definitive
guide". However, I am still confused on determining the size of
cache_dir and cache_mem given the total physical memory that I have and
the size of available hard disk.

I will be utlising diskd.

Any suggestion on the optimum size of cache_dir, cache_mem, and Q1 Q2?

Is there any use of installing GNU-malloc?

Users are roughly downloading 20-25GB per month.

Thank you in advance for the advice.

Regards,

Yance