Re: [squid-users] Memory pools: why use them?

From: Robert Collins <robertc@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 19:23:45 +1000

On Tue, 2004-08-31 at 10:42 +0200, Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:
> > On Mon, 2004-08-30 at 14:03 +0200, Boniforti Flavio wrote:
> > > Hello list.
> > > Can anybody explain me what memory pools are and what benefits I would
> > > get by using them?
>
> On 30.08 22:18, Robert Collins wrote:
> > Its the other way around: they are on by default, leave them on unless
> > *you know of a specific reason to disable them*.
> >
> > memory pools are a performance optimisation within squid.
>
> however that did not answer his first question ;)
>
> IIUC, they are blocks of reserved/unused memory, which squid maintains
> itself instead of running malloc/free on the memory (and letting the
> malloc library to maintain the memory)

A Memory pool is indeed that. The exact nature depends on the mempool
implementation in question (which has changed over time), and in 3.0
will be somewhat dynamic, allowing for both slab allocators and simple
os caching pools.

However, we do get folk asking this fairly often, and I'm seriously
considering removing the configure option completely.

Rob