Re: [squid-users] Memory pools: why use them?

From: Robert Collins <robertc@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2004 11:21:39 +1000

On Tue, 2004-08-31 at 17:13 +0200, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
> On Tue, 31 Aug 2004, Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:
>
> > in what way? to have that behavior permanent, or to keep things at library
> > malloc? Does squid handle its memory in such efficient way that using
> > malloc/free would have strong performance impact?
>
> Just to take away the "memory_pools on/off" configuration directive as it
> does not make much sense to have this direcive. The configure
> --disable-mempools directive is sufficient and serves a real purpose.
>
> The main reason why the configuration directive exists is to initially
> make it easier to proof that the use of memory pools do make a benefit.
> This is already well proven. In fact the configuration directive probably
> should had gone away even before the first STABLE release with memory
> pools support, remaining only as a configure --disable-mempools directive.
>
> The --disable-mempools configure directive is still needed, but for other
> reasons (debugging).

Actually, I was thinking the other way around: the 3.0 MemPools support
multiple pool allocators: so we can have a trivial pool that is just
malloc/free always compiled in and available. Then in squid.conf. the
disable_mempools command goes away, and instead we change the default
implementation - possibly in squid.conf, but more likely a one line
change in MemPools.cc.

Rob