Re: [squid-users] high VSZ w/aufs

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2004 08:55:28 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004, Billy Macdonald wrote:

> Well when I did that I noticed that VSZ spikes to 175000 or about that
> as soon as it gets a request. Is this normal? RSS would stay at about
> 6000

Probably. What you need to watch is the RSS. I don't see this explosive
growth of VSZ (stays at 45MB), but our configurations is probably
different.

VSZ is influenced by very many things, and includes future virtual address
space reservations not yet allocated. The threads library allocates a fair
bit of virtual address space (not memory) to support the threads. This
happens on the first cache disk I/O operation.