Re: [squid-users] Re: Ip wccp patch for kernel 2.6 Fedora2

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2004 09:43:43 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 1 Sep 2004, Eswari sharma wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
>> Download the entire package:
>> http://www.squid-cache.org/WCCP-support/Linux/ip_wccp-1.6.tar.gz
>> It includes a Makefile that should allow you to build on kernel 2.6.X
>
> 1. I downloaded the above tar package in Fedora core kernel 2.6 and kept in
> ip_wccp folder .
> 2. build the kernel2.6 with my requirements and save in .config file
> 3. from the kernel root installed the ip_wccp by giving the command "make
> install"

When using the tarball you shoud run make from the ip_wccp directory.

> I got the given below errors and could not integrate ip_wccp with new
> kernel2.6.

These errors are plain kernel compilation errors with no relation to
ip_wccp.

> arch/i386/boot/bzImage System.map ""
> WARNING: Couldn't open directory /lib/modules/2.6.5-1.358custom: No such
> file or

This tells that you have not yet installed your custom kernel.

Before you compile ip_wccp you SHOULD compile, install and test your
custom kernel as per the kernel instructions. Basically this down to

    make config (or xconfig)
    make dep
    make clean
    make bzImage
    make modules
    make modules_install
    make install

then modify your bootloader configuration to boot your new custom kernel
and reboot.

Then attempt to compile ip_wccp.

   tar zxvf ip_wccp-1.6.tar.gz
   cd ip_wccp-1.6
   make install

Please note that with Fedora Core 2 you don't need to build your custom
kernel unless you need to change some kernel configuration parameters as
all the required files is in /lib/modules/.../build (and automatically
picked up by the ip_wccp tarball build process). I haven't verified if
other Linux-2.6 based distributions is as friendly to compile custom
modules.