Re: [squid-users] P2P

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2004 18:55:32 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 1 Sep 2004, Pablo Gietz wrote:

> I have read many questions about how to block traffic of P2P programs like
> Kazaa, but i need to know wy this programs don't work in our proxy?

These programs are not HTTP clients surfing the web.

Squid is a HTTP proxy, not a firewall or router.

P2P programs need a public IP addresses to work best. See documentation of
any P2P program.

Some server based P2P programs have (limited) support for tunneling
outgoing requests over a HTTP proxy, but in the Squid community this is
seen as servere abuse of the HTTP proxy.

Most if not all server based P2P programs have (limited) support for being
used behind a NAT gateway/firewall, but not all functions will be
available without a public IP address and most P2P networks give clients
without a public IP address limited access due to the restrictions of not
having a public IP address and the impact of this on the P2P network.