[squid-users] Need Ideas

From: Rick G. Kilgore <rgk@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2004 08:33:33 -0600

        Good Morning All

        I am very new to squid. I like the product, still a lot of learning to
do. I have a problem that may or may not be similar to some one out
there and am looking for advice.

        Problem: We have two networks, One has only one point of ingress and
egress which I have autonomous control of. Squid is working well for
this network, although does kind of make the uses mad, no free roaming
the world downloading a bunch of junk.
        The second networks, routers and layer three switchs are controled by a
higher state network group, much like an ISP with no single point of
ingress or egress. The deparment that I am trying to help would like to
use squid to finally lock down Internet access due to
virus/malware/spyware and just junk slowing machines down.
        The network is spread across several subnets, buildings ect. The
network does use DHCP. Can I use squid as a gateway so to speak. I.E.
change the DHCP for the affected subnets to point to an interface on the
squid server and allow all traffic through it with the ability to block
and filter Internet access. Or is this just a plain bad idea. The
section I am working with really does not want to install a large number
of squid servers to try and resolve the problem.

        As allways I appreciate and thank you all for your time and effort.

Rick G. Kilgore
State of Colorado Department of Revenue IT/CSTARS (DDP/CCR/RWOC)
E-Mail: rgk@valhall4.dor.state.co.us
Phone: (303) 205-5659
Fax: (303) 205-5715