RE: [squid-users] Web site got hack through squid

From: Discussion Lists <discussions@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2004 22:51:37 -0700

Hi Tom,
People should correct me if I am wrong, however a proxy server such as
squid doesn't know the difference between a legitimate web request, and
a malicious one. Both can, and in most cases are required to be
compliant with various networking RFC's. A malformed GET request, for
instance, done with just the right payload (no need to tweak it to work
with squid), and aimed at a sufficiently vulnerable windows box/service
is all it takes. Reverse-shell spawning payload would give the attacker
unlimited to your machine at that point. Since all a proxy server does
is forward web transactions, that service is nearly as vulnerable as if
the box was sitting naked on the Internet. So without knowing more
details, this comes down to a question of how well patched is your web
service?

Hope that helps,
Mark