Re: [squid-users] Squid eating up all CPU

From: Raymond A. Meijer <rmeijer@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 16:49:24 +0300

On Tue 7 September 2004 16:32, Rob H wrote:

Hi Rob,

> As you have just redone your file system, maybe this:
> http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/FAQ/FAQ-11.html#ss11.46

Thanks for your reply, but this is not the case. My / file system is
still Ext3, and /dev/null is working properly.

I found out however, that the Weatherfox plugin for Firefox had caused Firefox
to crash, and therefore every time I started Firefox the Quality Feedback
Agent tried to send a message.

For some reason that didn't work, and the following entries showed up in
access.log after a LONG time:

1094561818.215 1041126 127.0.0.1 TCP_MISS/504 1467 POST http://talkback.mozilla.org/spiral-bin/Collector.dll - DIRECT/207.126.111.208 text/html
1094561860.054 1004601 127.0.0.1 TCP_MISS/504 1467 POST http://talkback.mozilla.org/spiral-bin/Collector.dll - DIRECT/207.126.111.208 text/html
1094561860.054 945630 127.0.0.1 TCP_MISS/504 1467 POST http://talkback.mozilla.org/spiral-bin/Collector.dll - DIRECT/207.126.111.208 text/html

Apparently the QFA continued to do this even after closing both its window
and Firefox, without any relevant processes showing up with ps..?!

Does this sound familiar?

After I uninstalled the Weatherfox extension the symptoms disappeared.

I'll try to reproduce it though..

Ray