Re: [squid-users] 2.5.STABLE5-CVS: Assistance determining "hangs" and pauses

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2004 12:56:42 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 7 Sep 2004, fire-eyes wrote:

> Every few minutes, or sometimes more, users viewing web pages will run
> into hangs and pauses. These can last anywhere from a few seconds to as
> long as a minute. From what I can tell, it affects anybody using the
> proxy all at the same time. Immediately using a client not using the
> proxy, going out the same gateway the proxy is, has no problems on the
> same pages.

Start by verifying your networking.. the sympomps you describe is VERY
common when there is a disagreement on half/full duplex and similar
fundamental network errors.

squid can only run as good as the network connectivity of the box where
Squid runs.

> What I'm wondering is, is squid automatic in setting up "children" if
> that's the right term? Or what might be some configuration options that
> I can tweak with?

A "out of the box" Squid is by default set up to handle about 500-800
concurrent connections.