RE: [squid-users] squid slow --- don't know why

From: Joseph Rinckey <jrinckey@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2004 15:05:05 -0400

>From: "Angela Burrell" <angela@jobsearchnetwork.ca>
>Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 09:22:17 -0400
>
>Joseph,
>
>I have never used delay pools, but I did incorporate HTTPd_accel into my
>squid, which helped my speed. I do not host a web server, but it seemed to
>help. I'm assuming you are using a transparent proxy.

Yes I'm using a transparent proxy

>Try adding the following lines to your squid.conf, then restart squid.
>
># HTTP_ACCEL options
>httpd_accel_host virtual
>httpd_accel_port 80
>httpd_accel_with_proxy on
>httpd_accel_uses_host_header on
>
>See if that helps.

OK, I tried adding the following options and restarted squid, but no difference. Still the same results. With the delay pools off, things are faster, but not as fast as if I bypass the proxy all together. Is that how it is suppose to be? If so, then I think I'm all set. But if the speed results from that website should be faster with a proxy, then I suppose there is still something else going on.

>Also, I don't see a "cache_effective_user or cache_effective_group"
>directive. Not sure if this is necessary, but when troubleshooting I find
>it's best not to leave any option out, no matter how insignificant it may
>seem.

I agree, I will add these too and try it again.

Joseph