Re: [squid-users] squid log analysis / merging with apache logs

From: Christoph Haas <email@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 10:05:48 +0200

On Sun, Sep 12, 2004 at 07:31:40PM -0700, admin@usachurch.com wrote:
> What kind of strategies do you use for integrating squid logs into your
> apache logs for webalizer or AWstats analysis. My squid box is going to
> be on a separate box, so I'll have to copy logs over I assume.

You probably use logrotate (or something similar) anyway to create new
logs every day. Why not start a cron job to process the logs on the
statistics machine.

Batch way:
Use "scp" to copy over the files. If you use public-key authentication
for a user and just leave the passphrase empty you can have the copy
process being done automatically and without interaction. Like this:
$ scp proxy@proxyserver:/var/log/squid/access.log.1 .
And then the report generator on acces.log.1

NFS way (that I use):
I run an NFS server on my proxys and mount the log directories from the
statistics machine. So I don't need to make a copy and waste space. The
statitics generator is directly accessing the log files on the proxy
server.

By the way: you lose information by using the common web log format.
Consider using tools like "sarg" or "calamaris" that process Squid's
native access.log directly. You'll get some interesting extra
information.

 Christoph

--
~