Re: [squid-users] cache digests

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 08:51:46 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004, Yanyan Wang wrote:

> Thanks for your reply. I just don't know how to make
> cache digests work correctly. I compiled Squid using
> --enable-cache-digests. But I don't know what kinds of
> changes should I make in configuration file.

Often none.

> Should I define "cache_peer" too?

If you want to fetch cache digests from a neighbor cache yes.

> Will the caches also communicate through ICP protocol at the same time?

By default yes on cache digest misses only, but this can be disabled using
the no-query option making Squid only use the cache digest for the peer.

> Do I need to have multicast support?

No. cache digests are exchanged using HTTP.

multicast is only used by ICP.

> I cannot found any detailed
> documents about the configuration file changes for cache digests.

There isn't many to talk about, but search for digest in
squid.conf.default and you will find the few there is.

Also read quickly the Squid FAQ Chapter 16 Cache Digests.