Re: [squid-users] cache peer allow me to 20 Maxconn

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 12:05:09 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004, kashif ali wrote:

> i hav a problum my cache peer is allowing me just 20 conntions to
> it and it is a satillite proxy base doanlink and i am running 21 users
> on my squid cache instal;ed in rehdat 8 can any body help me to find
> the slution of my problum

server_persistent_connections off
half_closed_clients off

should help a bit, but unfortunately there is not very much which can be
done to help this situation if your user base requires more than 20
concurrent connections to fulfill their browsing demands.

What you can do is to enforce similar limits on your users to make sure no
user can hog all the connections. You can enforce this kind of limits on
your users by using the maxconn acl. A suggested limit is 6 connections
per user.

The reason this is needed is because while it is known that for example
MSIE by default only uses at most 4 connections at a time the registry has
often been changed to make the browser try to open "unlimited" number of
connections. And there is also so called "download accelerators" doing the
same thing.