[squid-users] Bandwidth Management in Squid

From: Janno de Wit <Wit@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 19:01:01 +0200

Hi folks,

My setup is as follows:
- [Netware Box 1: BorderManager] -> [Linux Box 2: Squid1 =>
Dansguardian => Squid2].

I have the following problem:
There are 600 users connected at the BorderManager (upstream proxy =
Squid1) and browsing the internet.
Then, say user 543, started to download a file of 500 MBytes. This is
eating up all available bandwidth and the other 599 users are
complaining about very, very slow internet.

In BorderManager normally all bandwidth is spread over the connected
users, so users don't complain about *very* slow internet. I want to do
this in Squid too. This can I do with delay pools, as read in the
documentation ;-).
Squid's definition of a user is it's IP-address. So when i say 'Spread
availailable bandwidth over all users', I will go no steps forward,
because i have at Squid1 or Squid2 only one user, the BorderManager
server.

Okay, When I remove the BorderManager I keep the problem because at
Squid2 there is only one user too (dansguardian)!
Connect users @ [Linux Box 2: Squid1 => Dansguardian => Squid2].

Is it possible for Squid2 to spread over all users, connected through
Dansguardian and Squid1? Maybe through using X-Forwarded-For header from
Squid1??

Thanks a lot!

Janno de Wit
DNA services B.V.