Re: [squid-users] Host name stripped after authentication for https site

From: Christoph Haas <email@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 20:37:22 +0200

On Fri, Sep 17, 2004 at 07:23:30PM +0100, Martyn Bright wrote:
> Forgive me if this is a FAQ, but I've trawled the archives and can't find a
> solution that fits.

It is... but it's not in the FAQ. :)

> I have been using ncsa_auth and it works fine if I go to a site that uses
> http://
>
> Unfortunately, if I try to go to any https site, the challenge response
> seems to work ok, but I get a 400 Invalid URL message because something
> seems to have stripped the host name from the URL. If I refresh the screen
> or click on the "URL:" link, the page is then correctly displayed.
>
> I am using IE6 on XPP SP1 and have tried turning the assorted HTTP 1.1 flags
> on and off to no avail.

That's a very annoying IE bug. If the first page you request is a HTTPS
page *and* your proxy asks for authentication then the IE will strip off
the protocol part from the URL.

IMHO there is no bug fix out there yet. So you either work around it by
first calling a http:// page and after authenticating switch to the https://
page. Or you use another browser.

 Christoph

--