RE: [squid-users] Host name stripped after authentication for htt ps site

From: Martyn Bright <brightm@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 21:44:56 +0100

Tim Neto wrote:

> 3'rd option: If the "https" is an approved site for your business,
> school, or whatever organization, configure Squid to not require
> authentication for the site.

Unfortunately, the whole reason for the authentication is to restrict access
to a site that is outside of my control and exclusively https. Regrettably
it is also the only site that the approved users ever go to, so they always
have a shortcut to it on their desktop.

> Christoph Haas wrote:
>
> >On Fri, Sep 17, 2004 at 07:23:30PM +0100, Martyn Bright wrote:
> >

> >That's a very annoying IE bug. If the first page you request is a HTTPS
> >page *and* your proxy asks for authentication then the IE will strip off
> >the protocol part from the URL.
> >
> >IMHO there is no bug fix out there yet. So you either work around it by
> >first calling a http:// page and after authenticating switch to the
> https://
> >page. Or you use another browser.

I wish I could - the site is very firmly written for IE and is beyond my
control.

Is there any way to authenticate on a peer to peer network without using
Challenge/response with IE? Could I redirect to a web page on a local
apache server and validate with a cgi script there and then return control
to the initial URL?

Martyn Bright