[squid-users] Re: Problems connecting to SQUID

From: Adam Aube <aaube01@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2004 13:48:31 -0400

Florian Lindner wrote:

> I've just downloaded and installed the lates SQUID Version, using Gentoo
> emerge. My command line show this output

> squid -NCd1

> 2004/09/18 19:00:37| Accepting HTTP connections at 0.0.0.0, port 65000,
> FD 9.

[remainder of debug output snipped]

> But trying to connect (also trying to use just plain telnet) on port
> 65000 fails.

Check to see if any local firewall is blocking access to port 65000. Also,
you are running Squid in debug mode - are you leaving it running in your
terminal's foreground while you test?

> My squid.conf: (prototype)

> cache_access_log none
> auth_param basic program /usr/lib/squid/pam_auth
> http_access allow all

[remainder of squid.conf snipped]

> Since windows and also Firefox/Thunderbird do dnot support proxy
> authentication (or am I wrong?) I have to allow access from all.

You are wrong - IE, FireFox, Opera, and others support proxy authentication
(provided they are configured to use a proxy).

> Is that squid.conf so far doing what I want?

If what you want is "anyone who can establish a TCP connection to my proxy
can use it, without any access logging", then yes.

> Improvements?

You could utilize the authentication support you configured. See the
Authentication FAQ for more information:

http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/FAQ/FAQ-23.html

You will also want to use the cache_access_log and cache_log settings to
specify basic log files for Squid, then run Squid normally by simply
running "squid", rather than running it in the foreground.

Adam