[squid-users] Re: Betr.: Re: [squid-users] Bandwidth Management in Squid

From: Janno de Wit <Wit@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 10:21:03 +0200

Henrik,

I've got some questions:

If there is a Proxy-server in front of Squid, not sending
X-Forwarded-For headers. Is it then possible to fair shape active
connections in one pool?

So this situation is not a problem:
- User one is downloading 600 Megs.
- User two is surfing the internet
- Both using Proxy-server in front of Squid, so Squid sees only one
Client.

Can Squid then shape connections 50%/50% in a class 1 delay_pool? So
that user two is not having very very slow internet?

I tested it here with two clients using following configuration:

delay_pools 1
delay_class 1 1
delay_access 1 allow all
delay_parameters 1 1600000/1600000 # 1600 kbits == 200 kbytes/sec

But it seems not to work. Do you have any ideas?

Regards,
-- Janno

Janno de Wit
DNA services B.V.

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004, Janno de Wit wrote:

> It seems BorderManager spread the bandwidth, but squid is
downloading
> at full speed without limits...

Squid is normally only downloading as fast as the clients suck data
from
it..

> Why not at Squid2, because that's the last Squid which can shape the
> line before packets go on the internet?

In theory you can shape the traffic at any point between the clients
and
the Internet.