[squid-users] squid not parsing URLs

From: Rolf <rolf@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 14:57:23 +1000

hello

I have a new install of squid and I have done very little customisation
of the config (just things like the cache directory, cache_peer and
acls). Most of those settings were copied from an old (2.5) squid
install that worked perfectly.

I am having troubles with this box with lots of different sorts of urls

but the most common type is where a url contains a question mark prior
to some further part of the url

What happens is that squid comes back and says 'connection refused'
quoting the url only up to the question mark.

An example. If I go to this site http://www.osnews.com it loads fine,
then I click on this link
/http://www.osnews.com/comment.php?news_id=3D8343

squid returns:

While trying to retrieve the URL: http://www.osnews.com/comment.php?

The following error was encountered:
           Connection Failed

   The system returned:
      (111) Connection refused

   The remote host or network may be down. Please try the request again.

In access.log it shows
TCP_MISS/503 1504 GET http://www.osnews.com/comment.php? - NONE/-
text/html

If I sniff the conversation the relevant http packet begins with "503
service unavailable"

I can't work out why this is so and what if any config in particular I
need to have.
  Any help gratefully appreciated.

Using squid 2.5stable6 on debian.

Thanks