[squid-users] Centralized Squid with Hub/Spoke VPNs

From: Lowery, Michael <mlowery@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 01:54:46 -0500

Hi, I'm trying to help design a proxy setup for a client. I'm not too
familiar with Squid, they are, but they aren't familiar with VPNs and
Cisco routers, that's my job. I've looked through the archives and
haven't found a good working example of what we are trying to
accomplish. Here is the setup:

We have a central office with 2 Squid 2.5 servers / FreeBSD 4.4. We
have over 100 branches that all have their own Internet connections
through various means. All of the branches are connected to the central
office via VPNs to a Cisco 3030 VPN Concentrator allowing them access to
the centralized servers and other network resources. The central office
has a 15 meg pipe to the Internet, most of the branches are using ADSL
with 384k upstream.

I've got questions, maybe somebody out there can help direct me in the
right direction.

With this scenario, is it possible to use the two Squid servers in the
central office to service all of the clients across this VPN network?
(We plan to divide the clients evenly to the 2 Squid servers).

HTTP traffic outside of the network is not considered to be terribly
important, so even though it will be quite slow, will it be TOO slow?

Should we be using WCCP? (We want to proxy transparently.)

Are there other alternatives to this?

Should we even be considering doing this?

Thanks, any advice is greatly appreciated!

Michael