Re: [squid-users] providing a secure basic authentication

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 12:49:49 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004, Alex Sharaz wrote:

> This sounds interesting, given that almost every man and his dog is using IE
> or mozilla/firefox anyone know if they suport proxy connections over ssl?

Not last time I looked, but there is a rumor that recent versions of
mozilla/firefox may. Have not found it in the versions of Mozilla I have
access to however.

What works for all browsers is to use a ssl tunnel client. stunnel is a
reasonable and free one.

The principle when using an ssl tunnel is that you run a small SSL proxy
gateway/tunnel on the client configured to connect to the proxy
https_port, the client browser is then configured to use the local port of
the SSL proxy.

Browser -> (localhost) stunnel -> (SSL) Proxy https_port

stunnel then wraps all requests send by the browser into an encrypted SSL
tunnel and sends them to the proxy.

If you have central administration of your Windows boxes it should not be
too hard to push out the stunnel client and new proxy configuration to the
clients.