[squid-users] Re: Re: Squid-Newbie question

From: Tim Bernhardson <TBERNHAR@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 17:04:49 -0700

Basic network question - is the Cable modem providing the IP Address via
DHCP?

If so what may be happening is that when the Cable modem is turned off,
squid is starting up without an IP Address..

Tim Bernhardson
Senior Technical Engineer
Certified Citrix Metaframe Administrator
Certified CyberGuard Administrator
Certified AIX 4.3 System Administrator
Sun-Maid Growers of California
7273 Murray Drive, Ste 18
Stockton, CA 95210

tbernhar at sunmaid dot com

Steve King wrote:
> On Wednesday 08 September 2004 02:20, Adam Aube wrote:
>> Steve King wrote:

>>> Sometimes my PC gets turned on without the cable modem being turned
on.
>>> Without Squid, I can turn the modem on, wait a couple of seconds,
and
>>> everything is fine. But with Squid I get a message that the site I
am
>>> looking for cannot be accessed.

>> You should be able to just refresh the page once the cable modem
finishes
>> initializing. If not, try adjusting your dns_negative_ttl to a
lower
>> value.

> Thanks for the info, Adam. It didn't do the trick, sadly.

> I have done some experiments:
> - If I turn the modem off after I have booted up, then eventually
the
> browser says that the site cannot be found. This does not seem to be
> squid msg. - If I then turn the modem on and wait a few moments
before
> clicking refresh, then sure enough the site comes up, as you'd
expect.

> But if the modem is turned off when the machine is booting, then
turning
> the modem on does not help. I have to restart squid.

Have you tried editing your init.d script to run Squid with the -D
option
(disables DNS checks)? Also, are there any error messages in
cache.log?

Adam