Re: [squid-users] Accelerator mode

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2004 01:18:28 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004, Michael Gale wrote:

> If I run squid in accelerator mode how does this affect filtering ??
> Does it only affect the pages that get cached ?

What you mean?

> If example if I have an access rule:
>
> acl bigboss src 10.10.1.1/255.255.255.255
> http_access allow bigboss
>
> Would allow that IP access in a regular squid proxy server setup, acting as a gateway to the out side world.

Depends on the rest of your Squid configuration, and what http_access
rules you have above this..

> If I used that same access rule in accelerator mode .. would it be
> filtering the client trying to connect to my internal web server. If the
> accelerator was a gateway to my protected web server ??

All accesses to Squid both in proxy and accelerator mode is subject to the
http_access controls. If your http_access rules denies the request it is
denied, if allow it is allowed..

The type of rules you use in a accelerator setup is typically very
different from the rules you use in a proxy, but only because the goals of
the rules is different.

In an proxy you usually want to limit who may access Internet via the
proxy, and maybe in addition enforce restrictions on which web sites
certain users may visit.

In an accelerator you usually want to limit what web sites may be accessed
via the accelerator, and maybe in addition enforce restrictions on who may
access certain web sites.

as the two problems are slightly different they end up in different sets
of http_access rules.