[squid-users] Url_regex and Special Characters

From: Jacob S <stormspotter@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 17:37:36 -0500

I have a squid proxy setup to restrict access to certain sites based on
the ip of the requesting client. To specify which sites are allowed I am
using url_regex filters. This box is using Squid 2.5.6 from Debian
Sarge.

My question is, how do I get the url_regex to match on characters that
are special to regexes, like ? = ., etc.? A common scenario would be the
tons of sites that offer free photo albums. Each user gets their own url
like hostingcompany.com/user22 or similar, but when you go to it it
really redirects to something like
hostingcompany.com/common_index.php?user=user22 . Now suppose there are
certain users on that site that get a little carried away with their
pictures, so you want to make sure young eyes can't get to those
pictures, while still being able to visit their friend's photo album at
the same site.

I have tried using a \ to escape the special characters, but that
doesn't seem to be working. I have also done a google search and tried
reading the documentation links on www.squid-cache.org, but wasn't able
to find any solutions (is the documentation really as old as version 2.4
of squid?).

Is there something I am missing, or is this not possible with Squid?

TIA,
Jacob