Re: [squid-users] prevent direct access

From: Richard <snwbrd@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 16:48:11 +1000

Comments below.

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 08:06:02 -0400, Chris Perreault
<chris.perreault@wiremold.com> wrote:
> Hello, helpdesk. The web is busted, I get this error page. Read the page and
> feel free to call back if you have any problems.

The page could be step by step instructions!

> That is still less time for the helpdesk than walking users through the
> whole setup. Be creative with the webpage, don't use black text with no
> pictures. Make the headline say something like "Not your everday error page"
> or "ahhh, want net? Read this" Put a cartoon or other graphic on the page.

Absolutely! Also if you in the process of changing proxy settings be
smart about it, write a auto config script, that way you have control
of changes from there on in...no more help desk calls, if you decide
to change the proxy server name/address you just update your script
and the users never know..

> On regedit: You wouldn't run regedit on the webpage, you'd provide a link
> that they could download or run from the webpage. The only thing this file
> could do would be to change their proxy settings. If someone could get onto
> the webserver and change this reg hack then when the users ran it all sorts
> of things might happen. BUT...if they could get onto the server and change
> it, they could also get on the server, change the webpage, and add a little
> script of their own anyways. I don't see offering a reg change file/fix on a
> webpage as a security risk at all.

Although I didn't explain myself properly before this is what I was
getting at, a simple link on a website the user could click on to make
the changes, just a reg file even does it, login script is another way
you can do it, the key is to think about the changes and do them in
the smartest possible way, it makes your life easier in the long run..

The fact they are using IE is a security risk! :)