[squid-users] DNS Traffic

From: John <john.rushe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 21:32:18 +0100

Hi

I have two squid proxies running on IBM X345 series servers under Red Hat
Enterprise Linux ES Version 3.0. My colleagues manage two QIP DNS servers
and since we introduced the squid proxies the DNS servers seem to be taking
a lot more DNS queries tan before. When I look at the squid logs, it seems
that every URL is being resolved by DNS rather than the DNS resolution
entries being cached locally by squid. My query is, should squid be caching
DNS entries and not hammering the DNS servers and if so, how is this done? I
should add that I am using squids own internal DNS resolver program not an
external one. What I would like to be able to do, through the squid config,
is to set aside a certain amount of memory to hold cached DNS entries and to
specify how long to keep them before deeming them to be "stale". Is this
possible in squid and if so, how is it controlled?

Thanks

John