Re: [squid-users] ip_wccp kernel patch for 2.6.x

From: Joe Cooper <joe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 03 Oct 2004 17:39:29 -0500

Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
> On Sun, 3 Oct 2004, Joe Cooper wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> It's been requested a few times here on the list, so I've posted an
>> ip_wccp patch against kernel 2.6. It includes Henrik's latest version
>> of ip_wccp.c which is linked from the Squid FAQ.
>>
>> http://www.swelltech.com/pengies/joe/patches/linux-2.6.8-ip_wccp.patch
>>
>> Note that this is only useful if you're building your kernel from
>> scratch (from an SRPM, for example), and want to be able to configure
>> it as any other module. If you are starting from an existing kernel
>> and source tree, Henrik's make file is a better way to go.
>

> It may also be worth noticing that the Linux IP/GRE module finally is
> getting WCCP support, so soon there won't be any need to patch the Linux
> kernel or use cludgy modules like ip_wccp in order to use WCCP.

Yes, I noticed the discussion of it on squid-dev. I've always patched
my kernel ip_gre module with wccp support (it's just a few lines, and I
figured I'd eventually run up against an edge case that ip_wccp couldn't
handle--I haven't so far, but it could happen), but it is nice to see
standard support.

However, using the ip_gre module is more complex than simply inserting
ip_wccp, requiring actual configuration of a dummy gre interface. I've
found it's easier just to use the decapsulating ip_wccp.