Re: [squid-users] Browser auto-complete and squid

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2004 23:22:36 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 5 Oct 2004, Nick Hill wrote:

> Hello Henrik. Thanks for the info.
>> You can use a proxy.pac file to trigger the address completetion while
>> using the proxy. I don't remember the exact details but I think it is
>> automatic if the pac file looks for the destination server IP address.
>
> Would this require 2 DNS lookups per domain name?

Only on unqualified names if done correctly.

> That would defeat the neat Squid DNS cacheing.

No, not really. The DNS cache is mainly for other purposes. Best compared
to the caching of DNS lookups done in the browser.

>> You should be able to use a redirector for this. Certainly so with the help
>> of "append_domain autocomplete" and have the redirector look for and act on
>> requests like http://hostname.autocomplete/...
>
> I don't know how that would work.

If the redirector sees a request for http://hostname.autocomplete/ then
perform a DNS search based on hostname looking for www.hostname.com
www.hostname.org ... (whatever your search preference). If a match is
found then return a browser redirect to the correct URL.

> Another alternative which just occurred to me is to include javascript in the
> DNS_Fail page which checks the domain name. If the domain name doesn't
> contain dots, send an HTTP redirect prepending and appending www. .com

Would work, but is somewhat limited.