[squid-users] Internet Explorer becomes unresponsive after a short time

From: John O'Reilly <JOReilly@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2004 10:33:35 +0100

Hello there!

We're using the latest stable version of Squid here in our office
(2.5.STABLE6) as our main proxy server. Recently a strange problem has come
to my attention, and I can't find any other mention of it in the mailing
lists.

A couple of users have complained that after a short while of browsing in a
fresh IE window, the browser becomes unresponsive to clicks, and refuses to
load pages even if a new URL is typed in the address bar. No errors are
produced, the browser just sits there apparently doing nothing. I have been
able to replicate this behaviour myself. The strange thing is that this only
seems to affect IE, users with Mozilla or Firefox are browsing fine. Closing
the IE window and opening a new one get things working again - at least for
a time until the same problem occurs.

I'm guessing - perhaps wrongly - that it may be due to the use of the
winbind ntlm helper. A while back when we were just using the basic
authenticator alone the problem didn't seem to occur.

Can anyone offer any feedback on this? I'll happily provide copies of the
squid.conf if required - I haven't done this in the original request in case
it is a problem someone has already come across before.

Thanks in advance.

John

ITIS Holdings plc
www.itisholdings.com

Station House, Stamford New Road
Altrincham, Cheshire WA14 1EP
+44(0)161 927 3600
+44(0)161 929 5074 (fax)

Internet communications are not secure and therefore ITIS Holdings cannot
accept responsibility for the contents of this message. If you wish to
verify that this email is genuine please contact us at the address above.

This email is confidential and is intended only for the named recipient. If
you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, copying or disclosure
of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in
error please delete this email and contact us immediately. Any personal
opinions expressed in this email are those of the sender and should not be
taken as being representative of ITIS Holdings plc.