[squid-users] Squid failure with samba 3.0.7,

From: Lars Roland <lroland@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2004 13:24:04 +0200

Hi all

I just tried updating our samba server to 3.0.7 (from an ealier 3.x
release). Now winbind auth does not work any more, I get the folowing
error in smbd.log.

[2004/10/06 13:16:18, 2] nsswitch/winbindd_pam.c:winbindd_pam_auth_crap(383)
  winbindd_pam_auth_crap: non-privileged access denied. !
  winbindd_pam_auth_crap: Ensure permissions on
/var/cache/samba/winbindd_privileged are set correctly.

Both smbd, nmbd and winbindd is run as root, squid runs as a squid
user in a squid group. I have not had any problems with this
setup/config before so I am a little in the dark about what privileges
that should be set on the /var/cache/samba/winbindd_privileged
directory. Googling around to find an answer gave me this post:

http://www.squid-cache.org/mail-archive/squid-users/200406/0357.html

But I am not 100% sure how to implement this (should I create a samba
user/group and somhow get samba to run with these priviliges ?? - most
samba setups I have came accrose runs as root, so doing so seams a
little odd to me).

Regards.

Lars Roland