[squid-users] Siblings with redirectors

From: <chris@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2004 14:36:16 -0400

I've set up a pair of reverse proxies for the purpose of reducing the
load on some web hosts. I've used a redirector to rewrite
www.domain.com to direct.www.domain.com with the "direct.www" and
"www" versions of the site name appropriately defined in the DNS so as
to send "www" to one of the proxies, and "direct.www" to the actual
webserver. All this works.

The problem arises when I use ICP to make the reverse proxies into
siblings so they can share cached items. From my observations of the
logs, it seems that the ICP query asks for the URL after redirection,
but the cache has the URL prior to redirection. This means that
siblings can't share cache items. The cache holds the "www" URL, but
the sibling wants the "direct.www" URL.

I know this is happening because the sibling's log has UDP_HIT
reported, followed immediately by TCP_MISS for the same "direct.www" URL.

Is this a bug? A feature? Am I misconfigured?

Given taht one of those questions are answered with a "yes", what's
the proper configuration for a set of reverse proxies that want to
talk with ICP? Is redirection incompatible with ICP? If I use private
DNS will the same problem occur?

--
Chris Nadovich
http://www.nadovich.com/chris