Re: [squid-users] ACL combination to block mail extractors

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2004 19:35:24 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 6 Oct 2004, Adeoye Oke wrote:

> I have a problem with some users who come into the café and run email
> extractors, which hog all the available bandwidth. I have tried using delay
> pools to restrict maximum bandwidth per user, but this is not very
> desirable, as the overall browsing experience becomes slow, since no single
> client can utilize all the bandwidth for a short period.

Sounds to me like delay pools is exacly what you are looking for.

with delay pools you can make Squid limit clients who use too much
bandwidth over a certain period of time. If they are not hogging the
bandwidth they will compete like normal for the available bandwidth.

This is done by having a suitably large pool size with a relatively small
refill factor.

> I have also recently tried using the maxcon statement to limit number of
> connections, but certain websites make a single browser initiate up to 10
> connections and hence with only 3 windows they may reach the limit of 20
> connections I set, hence it also affect legitimate browsing customers.

Sounds like you have client stations with wrongly configured browsers.

MSIE by default does not open more than 4 connections per session as
mandated by the HTTP standard. A new session is normally only started by
clicking on the MSIE icon.

This can be tuned in the registry, and often is set "unlimited" by some so
called download accelerators and the like.