Re: [squid-users] Siblings with redirectors

From: <chris@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2004 15:40:01 -0400

On Thu, 07 Oct 2004, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

> maybe your redirector is messing up on http://direct.www... requests?

Good call. Indeed, I was lazy with the regexp. It's probably making
them "direct.direct.www". The sibling's ICP query for "direct.www" is
a hit, but subsequently when the sibling's request comes in, the
redirector makes the URL "direct.direct.www", which is inevitably a
miss.

> I would recommend using redirector_access to avoid calling the redirector
> on requests from your siblings. The siblings have already used their
> redirector to process the request.

Excellent. Spot on. Your suggestion worked like a charm.

I did have one unexpected snafu in creating the redirector_access acl
that I might mention for the benefit of the list.

It seems that setting an IP address with http_port has different
consequences than setting udp_incoming_address. When you set
udp_incoming_address, by default udp_outgoing_address is set to
match. But when setting http_port, tcp_outgoing_address is _not_ set
to match. This configuration asymmetry is an important point if you
care about the apparent TCP address of a requesting peer, as you will
when you are constructing an ACL to work with redirector_access.

But regardless, thank you very much for a most excellent suggestion.

--
Chris Nadovich
http://www.nadovich.com/chris