Re: [squid-users] Help with web based proxy

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2004 15:32:23 +0200 (CEST)

On Sat, 9 Oct 2004, SKaReCRoW wrote:

> I am trying to configure squid on one of my servers to act as a web
> based proxy. I have read on MANY websites that it is possible, but I
> could not find ANY help in setting it up to do that. I just need to
> allow one user access. He is behind a firewall that blocks most
> websites that he needs to get to, and he can not change the proxy
> settings in his browser. He will need to be able to either type in
> the url for where he wants to go in a form, or encode it into the url
> like anonymizer.com does in this example... "
> http://invis.free.anonymizer.com/http://www.YOUR-DESTINATION.com"

For this you need a redirector which rewrites the requested URLs into the
acutal URL Squid should fetch.

Please note that the functionality of the above URL scheme will be
somewhat limited as it inly works with sites using relative links to all
content. You would probably have higher success if you encode the
destination into the host name like

   http://www.your-destination.com.invis.free.anonymizer.com/

and use a wildcard DNS entry for the virtual proxy.

but even then there will be problems as soon as a site returns an absolute
URL as this will move the browser off from the virtual server.