Re: [squid-users] Transparent Cache

From: Alejandro Barcena <squid@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 16:10:42 -0500

Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

> There can be a number of reasons to this
>
> a) Your squid is really running out of file descriptors. This will
> happen if you trow a couple of thousand users at a Squid cache without
> tuning the number of filedescriptors (see FAQ).
>
> b) Your Squid is overloaded, or most likely your cache_dir is. If using
> the default "ufs" cache_dir type then speed will be very much limited by
> the speed of your harddrive, and when this limit is reached performance
> quickly spirals down. Use "aufs/diskd" cache_dir types, and design the
> hardware correctly for the load you are planning.
>
> Regards
> Henrik

I have read the FAQ.
[root@cache1 squid]# ulimit -n
1024
[root@cache1 root]# cat /proc/sys/fs/file-max
  104854
[root@cache1 root]# ulimit -HSn 100000
[root@cache1 root]# ulimit -n
100000

Then I edit the /etc/squid/squid.conf and change the max_open_disk_fds:
  max_open_disk_fds 100000

[root@cache1 root]# /etc/init.d/squid restart
[root@cache1 root]# cat /var/log/squid/cache.log |grep descriptors
  2004/10/14 16:00:18| With 1024 file descriptors

I understand that squid needs to be recompiled, could someone help me
with the parameters for recompiling squid? I'm trying to give
transparent cache for a lot of users.

In the mean while, I reduced the users conected to squid, and the
"WARNING! Your cache is running out of filedescriptors" doesn't appeared
anymore.... but I still have users that don't get a response from the
transparent cache.....

Thanks,
Alejandro