Re: [squid-users] Squid 2.57 core dumped for invalid cache_effective_user and cache_effective_group on HP-UX

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2004 16:53:19 +0200 (CEST)

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004, Durai raj wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I got core dumped when I tried with invalid
> cache_effective_user Or
> cache_effective_group. Here is the details:

You get a coredump because your Squid encountered a fatal error which made
it impossible for it to continue it's execution.

The reason why you get a coredump is by choice of the Squid developers to
always "coredump" on fatal errors, not only segmentation faults. This
makes analysis of the error condition easier.

In this specific case the core dump is redundant as the fatal error source
is obvious, but not all fatal errors is this obvious.